Wednesday, January 19, 2011

This wasn't the plan...

So I'm typing from the comfort of a hospital bed. That's right. I'm in the hospital. Awesome, huh? Here's what happened, or at least what I know so far.

Yesterday, I had my regular appointment, which was at 34 weeks and 2 days. That means we still have 5 weeks and 5 days until we reach the desired 40 week mark. When they took my blood pressure, the bottom number was 102. I don't know anything about blood pressure, but apparently, 102 sucks. Ideally, they want pregnant women to stay under 80. So the doctor said she was sending me to the hospital to be admitted and for observation. Bum-mer.

So I walked across to the women's center, where we are supposed to deliver eventually, and they put me in a room and hooked me up to a fetal monitor and blood pressure monitor, which would measure my bp every 15 minutes for 2 hours. My bottom number ranged from 94 to 101. Still, no bueno. So, they decided that I had to stay the night. My doctor then delivered the blow...

Doctor: "Are you working?"
Me: "Yes, ma'am."
Doctor: "You're done."
Me: "Until Wednesday, Thursday...?"
Doctor: "You're done."*t.

Apparently this doctor doesn't know me very well. I have a LOT to do. And this was not the plan. Bed rest for me was never part of the plan, but that's where we are at now. After I talked to work and told them what was going on, my bottom number shot to 102. I don't like leaving things undone or putting them off on other people, and I certainly don't like my decision-making to be taken away from me - but that's what has happened. And I know that is what HAS to happen, but it doesn't make it any easier on me.

Things seemed more grim last night. The doctor and midwives told me several times that I would not leave the hospital pregnant, and that there was a real possibility that I would either have to spend the next 2 1/2 weeks in the hospital and then they would induce at 37 weeks, or depending upon my test results and bp, I may be induced by the morning. Well, it's now 2:30 p.m., and she is still chilling in my tummy. They did an ultrasound to make sure she was okay. Not only is she okay, but at 34 weeks and 2 days, my child is measuring 7.5 lbs. Yeah, that's what I said. If she came this early, she would still have problems with breathing and sucking, but she shouldn't have a problem with maintaining her body temperature. I have no idea how it happened, but I've said it all along - my girl is a chunky monkey.

I spent the night in the hospital, with poor Kyle in the pull-out chair next to me. They gave me an Ambien, and right after I swallowed it, it was daylight. They've continued to monitor my blood pressure today, and I had one that was in the 70s, but I'm sitting at 95 again right now. They also did a chest xray (after putting tons of protection on my belly) because I've had such a terrible cough for 4 weeks now. The doctor came back and said I have gestational hypertension, and after they get the results back from my 24-hour tests, they will know for sure if I have preeclampasia. Best case scenario right now is that I will get to go home, be on modified bed rest and will be able to carry to 38 weeks. They've already thrown 40 weeks out the window. Realistic scenario - I get to go home and am on strict bedrest, then deliver at 37/38 weeks. No reason to worry about worst case scenario until they tell me we are there.

The other problem is that I'm not ready. Her crib is up and most of her clothes are washed, but her nursery is no where near ready and we don't have everything we need. Kyle's mom got here this afternoon, and they are going to go and get the rest of the things that we need. I cried for a while because I was really excited about buying everything for Ella, and now I'm going to miss out on it. That's what I get for thinking I still had 6 weeks. But in the end, at least she will have everything she needs and everything will be ready. My parents were on their way to Houston; they turned around and are on their way back now. My sister has her bag packed and in her car ready to go, and Kyle's sister is in South Alabama with her dad, but luckily they can travel by plane and be here in the blink of an eye if needed. Hopefully, nobody will have to rush here. Ella needs to hang out for at least 2 weeks and 4 days before we want her to come out. Hopefully we will know more this afternoon when my test results come back, but for now, I'm just hanging out, waiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment