Monday, January 24, 2011

Annnnnnddd....we're back:(

Okay, so I left out the middle. Last time I updated, we found out we were staying in the hospital until Friday. During that time, my parents made it back to Alabama; I got my computer and was able to work all day Thursday and Friday (thank goodness); and Kyle and his mom went to Babies R Us on a mini shopping spree. That was probably more emotional for me than anything else. I cried for 20 minutes after they left because I had really looked forward to buying Ella all the little things she needed. I had a big list - and if you know me, you know I love my lists. And I missed out on all of it. They did bring me back a burrito bowl from Chipotle, so that helped ease the pain. They also brought in all the bags and had show-and-tell in my hospital room. That helped a little more.

On Friday, the doctor came in and said that, combined with all of my good test results, my blood pressure had stayed at a safe range for a long enough period that it was okay for me to go home. So that's what we did. When we got home, we discovered that Kyle's mom had been a very busy bee at the house while she was here. Every bit of our laundry was done. And I mean every bit. Kyle even said that there were things he forgot he had. I know that's a total dig on me, but it's true. My mom and dad were also waiting for us at the house when we arrived. Mom stayed with us that night, and my sister came up on Saturday. Kyle had to work on Saturday, so they were in charge of making sure I stuck to the whole bedrest thing.

On Saturday, my mom and sister were major worker bees. They made a palette in the floor of Ella's nursery for me, and I laid there and watched them put the whole room together. I wish I had thought to take before and after pictures, because it went from being a room full of stuff and boxes to being an actual nursery. It was amazing. Mom also finished washing all of Ella's clothes, towels, burp cloths, hats, etc., and Brittney went and got her some more hairbows (hey...we've got our priorities...), so we are in a much better position than we were a week ago. And then when Kyle got home, they ran more errands for me and picked up the things I needed that I didn't want to make my poor husband buy. They went back home Saturday night, and then it was just Kyle bossing me around on Sunday. Well, not really bossing me around, because I can't go anywhere or do anything, but Kyle making sure I stayed immobile.

Bedrest has been quite the struggle, mentally and physically. My body aches all over from inactivity, and the inability to do things for myself really sucks. And it's not even an inability - it's someone telling me constantly that I can't do this or do that, and therefore having to ask for every little thing. I know that there are so many other women who have more problems and more serious problems during their pregnancy, so despite the glitches I've had, I'm still very lucky. And I've received some of the sweetest and most encouraging messages from people, all of which have helped me keep a positive attitude. Well, as positive as I'm known to be, anyhow.

Fast-forward to today. I had a doctor's appointment at 2:45 p.m. After being thrown in the hospital last week unexpectedly, I knew we needed to be prepared. We packed our bag and Ella's bag, installed the car seat and ordered the rest of what we needed online. I came to terms with the fact that there will just be things I have to do to her nursery after she gets here. The child won't know that her curtains are white instead of green, and that's okay. I also decided to throw my computer in the car, just in case. And guess what, I'm back. My blood pressure at the doctor's office was 160/120, which is no bueno. So they wheeled me back to the hospital and up to the floor where they keep the high risk pregnancy patients. They stuck an IV in my hand to administer medicine that would lower my blood pressure and then took blood out of the other arm. This time, the IV nurse let the blood spurt out and I felt it running down my arm, where it then puddled on my bed. Not for this girl. I just kept watching and talking to Kyle and told him not to look. The more he looked, the more I wanted to, and I knew that would be a bad decision. I've been here for a few hours now, and my BP is still on up there. So now we just wait for labwork to come back and I'm doing another 24-hour test, so the earliest I could go home would be tomorrow night around 9 p.m. The nurses at Northside are fantastic, and I've had some of the same ones from last week, who remembered me. They don't seem to think that I will go home pregnant, but that's what they said last week. Luckily, we are in a better place than we were a week ago because Ella is now 35 weeks and 1 day, and it may not seem important, but every day counts.

I left out the most important part. Ella is totally fine. I'm having a fair number of contractions, but they don't seem too concerned about it right now.None of this seems to phase her. I've been on the fetal monitor for a few hours now, and she seems as happy and comfy as can be.  That is absolutely all that matters. Not how long I have to be here or how many times they stick needles and IVs in me. As long as she is lounging in there and feels pretty good about it, I can take what they throw at me. Hopefully I will get to go home tomorrow or soon, but if I don't, then when I do go home, I will hopefully be taking a beautiful little girl with me:)

No comments:

Post a Comment