Thursday, May 26, 2011

Longest 8 hours of my life...

I'm an awful blogger. I know. I can't even begin to tell you how much is going on right now, largely because I'm not ready to, but just know that I have an amazing excuse. No, I'm not pregnant again, and no, I have no immediate plans for departure from anywhere (work, Atlanta, this life, etc.) So I ask forgiveness, and with that, we're moving on. Additionally, I started this post the last week of April. Today is May 26. I don't know if it will show today's date or the date I started this draft as the actual post date. But I wanted to be honest and let you know that you're going to see a few posts in a row. A girl's gotta do what a girl's got time to do. Now the topic of this post...

Ella has started "school." I actually started back to work on April 20, but my mom and Kyle's mom (her Gigi and Granna) stayed with us and took care of her the first week. That way, I wouldn't have to jump in all at once. Those days were long, and yes I cried all night Tuesday and all day Wednesday, but because I knew she was home with people she knew, I didn't worry as much.

But her first day - good grief. I couldn't bring myself to tell her "bye" that morning. Every time I looked at her, I cried. Luckily, I'm swamped with work, so I don't have time to sit and sob. But, my heart hurts every minute of the day. Before Ella, our group worked 9ish-6ish. It was usually more like 6:30 and sometimes later when we left, but I can't do that anymore. School closes at 6:30, and it's $1 per minute that you are late after that. Plus, school is in Kennesaw, which is closer to our house. So I've shifted to being 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. most days. There are some days when Kyle can pick her up, but our regular routine is that he drops her off and I pick her up. The days where I have to drop her off...well...let's not think about that right now:)

The fact that school is in Kennesaw means I've got one heck of a commute to pick her up. It took me an hour and 20 minutes yesterday to get there from work. Atlanta traffic...thorn in my side. I left work at 5 p.m. and pulled in at 6:20 p.m. It's only 25 miles, but if you don't live here, then you won't understand.

When I walked in her room, she was in her crib, entertaining herself with her mobile. The teacher had just fed her and changed her and put her down, and she was having a big time all on her own. I grabbed her up before she could render who I was. Seeing her so happy made me feel better. It is is much harder on the parents than on the kiddos.

No comments:

Post a Comment